Graduate Student Salary and Tuition Costs
At UF, Graduate Research Assistant reasonable compensation for work performed is comprised of two components, salary and tuition remission.
- Salary component is budgeted for in the personnel or salary budget line.
- Tuition componenet is normally budgeted for in the other expenses budget line.
Graduate Student Salary
When budgeting for a graduate student salary on a sponsored project please use at least the Graduate Assistant Minimum Salaries level. However, check with your Department’s Fiscal office to determine what the appropriate graduate student salary should be in your academic unit.
Maximum Graduate Student Compensation on NIH Research Grants
The maximum amount NIH will award for total graduate student compensation on a NIH research grant is equal to the Postdoctoral zero-level Kirschstein-NRSA stipend in effect when NIH issues the grant award.
For FY17, the amount is currently $47,484 ($3,957 per month), See (NOT-OD-17-003). The compensation amount includes salary or wages, fringe benefits, and tuition remission. These guidelines apply to graduate students who are supported by NIH research grants and cooperative agreements, not training grants.
Tuition on Sponsored Projects
At UF, tuition remission is considered a component of a graduate research assistant compensation package for the work performed while on appointment.
All proposals, including resubmissions, competing renewals and supplements that include salary support for graduate research assistants and where tuition is not prohibited by the sponsor, must also include the appropriate tuition amount in the budget.
For budgeting purposes use the current in-state tuition rate for new graduate students. Add a 5% escalation factor for estimating tuition in future budget periods.
Fees are not charged on Research Grants, but may be charged on Training Grants. To calculate tuition and fees use the University’s Financial Services’ tuition/fee calculator. Remember to add the 5% escalation factor to current rates to avoid shortfalls in future budget periods.
2017-2018 Graduate Student Tuition ($448.73 per credit hour)
|Academic Year Budget Start Date||12 Month||Fall Semester||Spring Semester||Summer Semester|
Fellowships and Training Grants
- The NIH NRSA’s will provide funds for Tuition and Fees, Training Related Expenses, and Institutional Allowance, as detailed at: NRSA
- UF allows all required fees to be requested in all Fellowship and Training grants, unless prohibited by the sponsor guidelines.
- Student Fees are not charged on Research Grants, but may be charged on Training Grants.
- Please work with your college or department fiscal office to make sure these costs are budgeted correctly.
- You may also visit the Bursar website at: Student Fee Calculation Estimate