What is xTrain?
xTrain is an electronic system that allows Principal Investigator/Program Director or Designees, Administrators and Trainee’s to prepare and submit the common forms associated with following awards:
- Institutional research training grants (T32, T34, T35, T90, TL1, TU2 and T15)
- Institutional career development awards (K12, KL2 and KM1)
- Individual fellowships (F30, F31, F32 and F33)
- Research education awards (R25 and R90)
xTrain supports electronic submission of the following forms:
- Statement of Appointment Form (PHS 2271)
- Termination Notice (PHS 416-7)
- Payback Agreement (PHS 6031) This agreement is available for download/printing with instructions for signing and submitting the agreement via postal mail. xTrain will populate the basic information prior to printing
Effective January 1, 2011, the use of xTrain is mandatory to electronically prepare and submit PHS 2271 Statement of Appointment forms and/or PHS 416-7 Termination Notices. After January 1, paper appointment forms and termination notices will not be accepted.
- The Individual Fellowship Activation Notice (PHS 416-5) is still signed and submitted via postal mail.
- Form-specific information and instructions can be found at http://grants.nih.gov/grants/forms/all-forms-and-formats.htm.
What role is needed in Commons to use xTrain?
- To use xTrain each user will need the Assistant (ASST) role in their Commons account..
Can the PI delegate the xTrain authority to others?
- Yes delegation is allowed by the NIH. The delegated user needs to be registered in Commons with the role of ASST.
- See NIH’s animated xTrain Delegation of Authority Tutorial
How do I get the Assistance (ASST) role or have it Delegated?
- The easiest way is to send and email to DSP’s Proposal Processing Office at email@example.com making the request that the Assistant (ASST) role be added to their Commons account.