What can I do abroad?

In most cases, you’ll be able to present your research and collaborate with colleagues internationally without an export license from the U.S. government. However, if your work is controlled or proprietary, or if you engage in activities in certain countries, then you might need an export license before you share any items or information. To determine any applicable licensing requirements for your planned international activities, review the general guidance below and contact the Division of Research Compliance for assistance.

Presentations (Domestic or International)

In general, mere attendance at an international conference will not require a license, except for attendance at a conference in Iran (see Iran section). If you plan to present at a conference or open meeting either in the U.S. or abroad, you will not need a license as long as you present information that is already within the public domain or is the result of fundamental research. Presenting information that relates to export controlled or proprietary technologies could require a license, even if held within the U.S.

Interactions with Foreign Colleagues

You may share information or data with foreign colleagues as long as it is already within the public domain or resulted from the conduct of fundamental research and your foreign colleagues are not a sanctioned or specially designated entity or individual. Before you engage in collaborations with foreign colleagues, contact the Division of Research Compliance and request a restricted party screening, which will help you identify sanctioned or specially designated entities and individuals.

Research & Teaching Outside of the U.S.

Research conducted outside of the U.S. may not qualify for the fundamental research exclusion. Thus, before sharing any research results from international research projects, contact the Division of Research Compliance to determine whether the information is subject to export controls.

Teaching or instruction outside of the U.S. generally is allowable without an export license as long as the subject matter is within the public domain or is educational information ordinarily taught in university settings. If you plan to teach in a sanctioned country, certain restrictions may apply; contact the Division of Research Compliance for guidance.