Letters of Intent for Limited Competitions
Letters of Intent (LOIs) are often required internally for limited applications programs. If specific instructions for the submission of LOIs is included in the article associated with the opportunity on the Funding Opportunities page, that information supersedes these general guidelines.
Internal letters of intent are not binding (you may withdraw at any time, and the personnel, title, and description may be revised as necessary before submission to an external funding agency), are for internal use only, and have no specific formatting guidelines. They may be sent in the body of an email or as an attached 1-2 page .doc or .pdf file.
While you may choose how to format your LOI and specific content instructions may be found in the FYI article, please ensure that your LOI contains, at minimum, the following information:
- The full funding opportunity title and sponsor name for which you are applying. (Please also include this in the body or subject line of the email if the LOI is sent as an attachment.)
- The names and departmental affiliations for all applicable UF and external personnel.
- The name and contact information of the contact PI (this does not necessarily have to be the final contact PI for the proposal if it goes forward to the external funding agency).
- A tentative title for the project.
- A short (one-paragraph) description of the project.
- Any other information or documents specifically requested in the FYI article.
If you have any questions about limited funding opportunities or find a limited opportunity for which you would like to apply not yet listed on the Funding Opportunities page, please contact Jenn Hubbs in Program Development at firstname.lastname@example.org.