Budget Control Levels (KK Level 3 or 5)
Effective 10/15/15, Contracts and Grants (C&G) Accounting was given the responsibility for determining the Budget Control Level to be used with your grant or contract funds at time of project set-up, rather than DSP at time of NOA. You will notice the Budget Control (KK) Level has been removed from DSP’s NOA.
- Budget Control Level 3 (KK Level 3) will be assigned to awards (federal or non-federal) where terms DO NOT impose re-budgeting restrictions. Budget Control KK Level 3 allows spending at a direct cost level without the requirement to re-budget funds.
- Budget Control Level 5 (KK Level 5) will be assigned to awards (federal or non-federal) where terms DO impose re-budgeting restrictions. Budget Control KK Level 5 will require re-budgeting approvals be obtained from the Sponsor or C&G Accounting, as appropriate, prior to allowing grant funds be used for the expenditure in question. The Department’s Grant Administrator will need submit a Budget Transfer Form to C&G Accounting form with back-up approving the rebudgeting action.
Examples of awards that would be assigned a Budget Control Level 3 are as follows:
- Federal Grants under FDP Terms
- Federal Grants under Expanded Authority Terms
- Federal Grants under Standard Research Terms
- Clinical Trials
- Fixed Price Agreements (federal and non-federal)
- Multiple Sponsor Projects
- Miscellaneous Donor Projects
The project’s Budget Control (KK) Level is displayed in myInvestigator. If you have any questions regarding the Budget Control (KK) Level assigned to your project, please contact the C&G Grant Accountant assigned to your award.