Export Compliance Tools and Tips

The following information is only a starting point in the export control discussion.  Please contact UF Research Integrity with any questions about specific activities.

Utilize UFIRST

UFIRST is the University of Florida’s official system of record for proposals, awards, and agreements. UFIRST is mandatory for the entry and routing of proposals and agreements managed by the Division of Sponsored Programs (DSP). UFIRST allows transparent tracking throughout the lifecycle of the award from proposal development to proposal submission to agreement negotiation, set up and management.

Faculty are required to disclose international engagements and potential export control indicators through the export control/compliance tabs within UFIRST. It is important to accurately complete this section in its entirety to allow for expedited review by UFRI.

Additional information on UFIRST is available at https://research.ufl.edu/ufirst.html.  For questions related to completing the export control/compliance tabs within UFIRST, please email exportcontrol@research.ufl.edu.

Tips for International Travel

Before traveling abroad for any UF sponsored activity, there are three things to consider:

  1. Where are you going?
    • Please register all international travel at https://internationalcenter.ufl.edu.   Registration with the UF International Center not only ensures individuals have travel insurance, but is used to recognize potential export control concerns.
  2. What are you taking with you?
    • Rule of thumb:  If you don’t need it, don’t take it.  Most low-tech commercial devices such as laptops and iPads do not need an export license; however, the destination, length of time abroad, and cost of the items transported may affect the outcome.  Be sure to register the transfer or temporary export of all UF-owned items through https://myassets.fa.ufl.edu.
  3. What is the purpose of your travel?
    • General travel to present at conferences or conduct research in the field can trigger export control concerns based on the nature of the work and destination of travel.  It is best to have the destination and research partners screened to ensure no work will be conducted with Restricted Parties.

Shipping or Traveling Outside the US with Chemicals, Biologics, and Nuclear Materials

An export control license may be required when shipping or traveling outside the US with chemical, biological or nuclear materials, temporarily or permanently. To ensure that such materials are not exported in violation of US export control laws, the person transferring such materials outside the US should follow the processes established by Environmental Health and Safety so that the appropriate license and/or government authorizations are obtained. Please visit the Shipping & Transport of Biological Materials webpage for more information.

Visual Compliance

UF Research Integrity maintains the license to use Visual Compliance to assist in export control screenings. Access to Visual Compliance is granted after completing training with UF Research Integrity, allowing individuals to conduct restricted party screening for all of their export compliance needs.

Each U.S. Government agency with oversight for export controls administers various lists of restricted (or denied) parties. The U.S. cannot engage in business with any individuals, organizations, or companies identified on these lists without specific authorization.

With few exceptions, the University of Florida will not host visitors, enter into contracts or other agreements, do business, or engage in any activity with entities listed on U.S. government restricted party lists.

For more assistance with export control related questions or any of the aforementioned areas, please contact UFRI at (352) 392-9174.