Eligibility to Submit a Proposal for External Funding
PART 1 of 2
It is University Policy that any individual who holds one of the following positions and has signed the Patents and Copyright Agreement can be a Principal Investigator (PI) and submit proposals for external funding:
A. Faculty in Tenure Accruing Tracks
- Professor, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor
- Curator, Assistant Curator, Associate Curator
- Librarian, Assistant Librarian, Associate Librarian
- Graduate Research Professor
- Distinguished Service Professor
- Distinguished Research Curator
- Eminent Scholar
B. Faculty in Non-Tenure Accruing Tracks
- Scientist, Assistant Scientist, Associate Scientist
- Scholar, Assistant Scholar, Associate Scholar
- Engineer, Assistant Engineer, Associate Engineer
- Research Professor, Assistant Research Professor, Associate Research Professor
- Extension Scientist, Assistant Extension Scientist, Associate Extension Scientist
- Clinical Professor, Clinical Assistant Professor, Clinical Associate Professor
C. Other University Faculty and Personnel
- Professor, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor at P.K. Yonge Developmental Research School
- Instructor at P.K. Yonge Developmental Research School
- IFAS County Extension Faculty
- Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, and Master Lecturer
- Chief of Police
D. Emeritus Professor
If the proposal is awarded, the Emeritus Professor must have an active job in PeopleSoft HR (a CTY job). This active job will allow the Emeritus Professor to manage the award using the UF accounting system. Please contact your Department Chair to initiate the appropriate appointment.
E. New Hires
New faculty hires with a PI eligible position will automatically be loaded into UFIRST as soon as they have an active job in PeopleSoft HR. It is strongly recommended that any faculty member who has accepted a faculty position at UF get with the Department’s HR administrator and have a UF JOB entry made as soon as possible. If a temporary courtesy faculty appointment is created, notify DSP at email@example.com of their future title and that will be sufficient for DSP to approve them as a PI, allowing them to submit applications before they start work.
Part 2 of 2
Individuals in the following categories are not eligible to be a Principal Investigator (PI) unless they have a UF eligible PI serve as co-principal investigator (internally or as part of the formal grant application) and has written approval from the Department Chair and UF’s Division of Sponsored Programs (DSP).
A. Ineligible Positions
- Visiting Faculty
- Assistant In, Associate In, Senior Associate In
- Adjunct Faculty
- Research Associates
- Courtesy Faculty
- Postdoctoral Employees
- OPS Faculty
- Graduate Students
Use UFIRST to Request PI eligibility:
To receive DSP approval allowing an individual who holds an ineligible position be an eligible Principal Investigator, the following needs to occur;
- Submit a PI eligibility request as an “ad hoc review” from UFIRST. Department Chairs may initiate the request themselves, if initiated by someone other than the Chair, attached to the ad hoc request must be a Department Chair signed letter requesting PI eligibility.
- Log In to UFIRST and create new Proposal.
- Click on the left side menu item called “ad hoc review”. An email will open.
- The request should be addressed to Asst VP for Research, Stephanie Gray.
- The request should be specific to a project and contain information about the qualifications and capabilities of the individual that would allow the person to perform the duties of a PI.
- Include in the request the name of the individual with PI eligibility that will act as Co-PI on the project and assume the PI role in case the approved PI cannot fulfill the responsibilities.