Keep up with OTL
Read the latest news about UF startups, OTL, startup companies, programs and events below. If you’d like to have this news delivered via social media or email:
- Follow @UFOTL on Facebook and Twitter for these updates and more.
- Receive the Tech NEWS Transfer newsletter via email once a semester by signing up here.
- For the Tech Alert email service that alerts subscribers to new technologies available for licensing in their areas of interest, sign up here.
- See our latest annual OTL Calendar publication here. Request to receive a copy of the annual calendar here.
- You can find an archive of OTL TechNotes and UF Tech Connect Update newsletters here.
Startups in the News
- Horse Progressing Under Morphogenesis Cancer Therapy (BloodHorse)A cutting-edge cancer treatment offered by UF startup Morphogenesis, Inc. has helped reduce skin cancer by 80 percent in 1996 Breeders’ Cup Classic winner Alphabet Soup. The cancer treatment is a vaccine that allows the horse’s immune system to target the melanoma. Patricia Lawman, chief executive officer of treatment developer Morphogenesis, said even though her company has been on the front line, the treatment sometimes still amazes her. The company hopes to expand into treating people. “For so many people it sounds too good to be true being able to treat these cancers with no side effects and relatively little money…but that’s what this technology is and how it works,” Lawman said. “It’s not specific to any tumor because it’s a bacteria that can be injected into any tumor, and it doesn’t cause side effects.”... Read more »
- SharpSpring Adds to Board of Directors (SATPRNews)UF startup SharpSpring, Inc., a global provider of cloud-based marketing technologies, announced the addition of Steven Huey to its board of directors effective immediately. The board of directors announced an approved plan to increase the size of its board to seven directors on or before the next annual shareholder meeting. With these changes, SharpSpring’s board will increase from five directors to seven directors, and increase its slate of independent directors from three to five. Huey brings to SharpSpring’s board nearly 30 years of financial, business development, and operational experience in the technology industry. He is currently co-founder and CEO of Capture Higher Ed, a leading marketing technology firm that combines the principles of machine learning and big data to provide customized enrollment solutions to colleges and universities across the country.... Read more »
- AxoGen Appoints New Medical Director (EconoTimes)UF startup AxoGen, Inc., a global leader in innovative surgical solutions for peripheral nerve injuries, has appointed Ivica (Ivan) Ducic, M.D., Ph.D. as Medical Director of Clinical and Translational Sciences. Dr. Ducic will be responsible for AxoGen’s global medical affairs programs as a non-officer member of the leadership team. “The addition of Dr. Ducic to our Clinical and Translational Sciences team will enhance our efforts to provide world class surgeon education, meaningful clinical evidence on our product portfolios, and continued innovation in peripheral nerve repair technology,” commented Karen Zaderej, President and Chief Executive Officer. “Dr. Ducic is a renowned and experienced peripheral nerve surgeon who shares our mission to improve the quality of life for patients suffering from peripheral nerve injuries.”... Read more »
- Trethera & Nanotherapeutics Sign Agreement for Development of Blood Cancer Therapies (BusinessWire)UF startup Nanotherapeutics has granted biotech Trethera Corporation an exclusive license for the global development, manufacturing and marketing of Triapine® (3-AP) and all formulations, for the treatment of hematological malignancies. Triapine® is a clinical-stage, small molecule inhibitor of ribonucleotide reductase (RNR), a key enzyme in the de novo pathway of nucleotide biosynthesis. Prasad Raje, President and Chief Executive Officer of Nanotherapeutics, commented, “We are delighted to be able to license Triapine® to Trethera for the treatment of hematological malignancies. Trethera’s scientific team is pursuing critically important research which may unlock this compound’s ability to yield new blood cancer therapies in the future and we look forward to watching their progress.”... Read more »
- Axogen Reports Q4 Revenue at $11.3 MillionUF startup AxoGen, Inc., a global leader in innovative surgical solutions for peripheral nerve injuries, announced preliminary unaudited fourth quarter and full year 2016 revenue and selected business highlights for the quarter and year ended December 31, 2016. Highlights include that the fourth quarter revenue is expected to be at least $11.3 million, up 45 percent compared to the fourth quarter of 2015 revenue of $7.8 million. The full year 2016 revenue is expected to be at least $41.0 million, up 50 percent compared to 2015 revenue of $27.3 million.... Read more »
OTL News and Events
- Search Committee Meeting ScheduledThe University of Florida is seeking an Assistant Vice President for Technology Commercialization and a Director for the Office of Technology Licensing. The search committee meets Monday, December 5, from 8:30 am – 12 pm in 226 Tigert Hall. Contacts for the search committee include: Dr. Winfred M. Phillips, Co-Chair and Executive Chief of Staff P O Box 113390 Gainesville, FL 32611-0001 Phone: (352) 392-6620 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Dr.... Read more »
- UF Ranks Third Nationally for Licensing Its TechnologiesThe University of Florida is ranked third in the nation for licenses and options executed on technologies developed at the university level, a measure of how successful its ideas are in the marketplace, according to the latest statistics recently released by the Association of University Technology Managers as part of its annual licensing survey. In fiscal year 2015, the most recent... Read more »
- OTL is Hiring a Marketing Specialist (Apply Through UF Jobs)Do you love to write, edit, and manage multiple projects and students all at once? Can you understand tough scientific concepts and communicate them to people who can’t? Is your goal to make the world a better place? Apply for the OTL Marketing and Communications Specialist position through the UF Jobs website! This position works with a team of fellows to manage all aspects of campaigns... Read more »
- A Record-Breaking Year for Moving UF Technologies to Market (UF News)The University of Florida’s Office of Technology Licensing signed a record 122 licenses and options and launched 17 startup companies in fiscal year 2015-16, topping last year’s total of 85 licenses by 43 percent. Officials cited a favorable economic climate, more than $700 million in university research and hard work by an experienced tech transfer staff as reasons for the... Read more »
- The Numbers are In: UF is Good for Florida (UF News)Private companies licensing technology from the University of Florida infused nearly $2.3 billion into the state of Florida economy last year and accounted for the employment of more than 10,600 people, according to a newly released study of UF’s statewide economic impact. … UF boasts an active program for licensing patented technologies developed through university research to private companies. In... Read more »