Keep up with OTL
Read the latest news about UF startups, OTL, startup companies, programs and events below. If you’d like to have this news delivered via social media or email:
- Follow @UFOTL on Facebook and Twitter for these updates and more.
- Receive the Tech NEWS Transfer newsletter via email once a semester by signing up here.
- For the Tech Alert email service that alerts subscribers to new technologies available for licensing in their areas of interest, sign up here.
- See our latest annual OTL Calendar publication here. Request to receive a copy of the annual calendar here.
- You can find an archive of OTL TechNotes and UF Tech Connect Update newsletters here.
Startups in the News
- Sappi’s Neoterix™ ST Based on Sharklet Microtexture Wins Design Award (Yahoo! Finance)Sappi North America, a leading producer and global supplier of diversified paper and packaging products, has been recognized for its innovations in paper by interzum, the world’s leading trade fair for furniture production and interior design, which named Sappi’s recently launched Neoterix™ ST release paper as a winner of its intelligent material & design award. Neoterix™ ST is the result of Sappi’s collaboration with UF startup Sharklet Technologies, Inc., with whom it entered an exclusive, worldwide license agreement in 2016 to manufacture and distribute casting and release paper and film that feature the groundbreaking Sharklet™ microtexture. Neoterix™ ST, which creates surfaces that resist bacterial attachment and growth without the use of toxic additives or chemicals, was chosen by five experts in design and architecture who were given a live demonstration of its capabilities.... Read more »
- Sun BioPharma Provides Phase 1 Trial Update (Nasdaq GlobeNewswire)UF startup Sun BioPharma, Inc., a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company developing disruptive therapeutics for the treatment of pancreatic diseases, provided top-line, interim data from the Phase 1 dose-escalation phase of its clinical study. Through four completed cohorts, 15 patients have received escalating doses of SBP-101. Seven patients were dosed in the third and fourth cohorts, three of whom have shown stable disease at the eight-week conclusion of their first cycle of treatment, using the independently published Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors (“RECIST”) criteria. These early signs of efficacy were unexpected due to the low doses of SBP-101 administered in these two cohorts and given that six of the seven patients were enrolled in the study after receiving two or more unsuccessful chemotherapy regimens.... Read more »
- Red Lambda Name a “Top 10 Cybersecurity Solution Provider” (Yahoo!Finance)UF startup Red Lambda, a leading provider of cybersecurity software, announced that its MetaGrid solution has been selected as a “Top 10 Cybersecurity Solution Provider for Capital Markets” by Capital Markets CIO Outlook Magazine, a leading online and print publication focused on capital market trends. With ever-expanding reliance on cyber systems, capital markets CIOs continue to seek effective solutions to strengthen their organization’s security posture. To help CIOs find the right provider for cybersecurity solutions, Capital Markets CIO Outlook Magazine assembled a panel of CEOs, CIOs, analysts, and Capital Markets CIO Outlook editors. This panel reviewed cyber security companies with a record of expertise in assisting organizations in the capital markets arena with innovative security solutions. The panel also weighed the robustness and reliability of the solutions and selected Red Lambda as a top ten finalist in the cybersecurity market.... Read more »
- Battelle and Nanotherapeutics Form Alliance to Hasten Development of Medical Countermeasures (Yahoo!Finance)Battelle and UF startup Nanotherapeutics, Inc. have entered an alliance to bring together core research, development, test and evaluation (RDT&E) and manufacturing capabilities needed to expedite the development of medical countermeasures urgently required by the Department of Defense (DoD) to protect deployed military forces from CBRN threats. Chemical and biological weapons continue to threaten warfighter and civilian populations in war zones such as Syria. With the rising threats of terrorism, they also are a potential homeland security threat. In order to better protect the warfighter, the DoD urgently needs new countermeasures, including vaccines, post-exposure prophylactics and treatments for acute exposure reactions.... Read more »
- Buckley, Peerfit Gain Investors Keen on Disrupting Corporate Wellness (Tampa Bay Business Journal)Edward J. Buckley III leads UF startup Peerfit’s expansion strategy by driving national partnerships, business development and fundraising. The company has secured $2.5 million in venture capital to date and is expanding rapidly. Follow the link to view the video with Buckley as he describes how Peerfit’s past is propelling it to new heights, disrupting corporate wellness.... Read more »
OTL News and Events
- Milken Institute Ranks UF Third Nationally in Moving Ideas from Lab to Real World (UF News)The University of Florida ranks third among all research universities in the country for getting its ideas out of the laboratory and into the real world, according to the Milken Institute’s 2017 ranking of Best Universities for Technology Transfer. UF was fifth in 2006, the last time the report was issued by the Santa Monica, California-based independent economic think tank. The... Read more »
- UF Names New Director of Technology Transfer (UF News)The University of Florida has a new O’Connell to welcome in Gainesville. After a thorough national search, UF has selected Jim O’Connell as the new assistant vice president for technology transfer and the director of the Office of Technology Licensing. “Mr. O’Connell will work with internal and external constituents to provide strategic leadership and direction in building and capitalizing on facilities,... Read more »
- It Was a Day to Celebrate People Who Change the WorldThe 11th annual A Celebration of Innovation showcase wasn’t a standing room only event — the thunderstorm that wreaked havoc the morning of April 4 made certain of that — but it was a standing up only event, at least immediately following OTL Director David Day’s farewell speech in the opening session of the startup showcase. The startup showcase featured an opening session that celebrated... Read more »
- Thomas Maren, Creator of Glaucoma Drug Trusopt, Inducted into Florida Inventors Hall of Fame (UF News)Dr. Thomas Maren, a founding father of the University of Florida College of Medicine whose four decades of basic scientific research led to the development of a top-selling drug for glaucoma, has been inducted into the Florida Inventors Hall of Fame. Maren arrived on the UF campus in 1955 and continued working as a graduate research professor until months before his... Read more »
- UF Ranks Third Nationally for Licensing Its TechnologiesThe University of Florida is ranked third in the nation for licenses and options executed on technologies developed at the university level, a measure of how successful its ideas are in the marketplace, according to the latest statistics recently released by the Association of University Technology Managers as part of its annual licensing survey. In fiscal year 2015, the most recent... Read more »