Startups in the News
- Velodyne LiDAR and Paracosm Team Up to Capture Environments on a Virtually Unlimited Scale (BusinessWire)Velodyne LiDAR Inc., the world leader in 3D vision systems for autonomous vehicles, and UF startup Paracosm, a division of Occipital, announced that the two companies have partnered to integrate Velodyne’s VLP-16 Puck LiDAR sensors into Paracosm’s PX-80. The PX-80 is a powerful handheld 3D scanner commonly used for geospatial, construction, and industrial applications to survey a wide array of spaces from large office buildings to thick forests. Paracosm’s PX-80 uses Velodyne’s VLP-16 Puck and its own proprietary SLAM technology – itself a fusion of LiDAR, color imagery, and IMU data – to produce detailed three-dimensional documentation of complex environments and geometries in minutes. The resulting point clouds come in full color with corresponding spherical imagery that can provide virtual tours along with accurate 3D measurements. With the light and cost effective VLP-16 LiDAR sensor from Velodyne, Paracosm is able to offer a handheld scanner with unprecedented accuracy, range, and detail.... Read more »
- GSA Schedule Contract Awarded to Altavian (Commercial UAV News)The General Services Administration (GSA) has recognized UF startup Altavian, a Florida-based drone manufacturer, as a trusted, reliable supplier and has awarded it with a GSA Schedule contract. It’s a move that is the first of its kind for a U.S.-based UAV company. As part of the GSA Schedules Program, a GSA Schedule contract aims to facilitate agencies of the U.S. government with purchasing commercial products and services, and to leverage the buying power of the federal government in the process. By establishing fixed prices for Altavian products, any U.S government agency or approved entity can now directly purchase them with predetermined cost and delivery terms.... Read more »
- Exactech Announces Successful First Surgery with Vantage® Total Ankle Mobile Bearing System (BusinessWire)UF startup Exactech, Inc., a developer and producer of bone and joint restoration products for extremities, hip, and knee, announced the successful first surgery using its new Vantage® Total Ankle Mobile Bearing System, the newest addition to the Exactech extremities product line. Orthopaedic surgeon and Vantage Ankle design team member Professor Victor Valderrabano, MD, PhD, chairman of the Swiss Ortho Center Basel, recently performed the first case in the world with the mobile, three-component implant in Switzerland. “It was a momentous occasion to have performed the first Vantage Ankle mobile bearing surgery, and we were pleased with the implants’ streamlined technique, practical instrumentation and thoughtfully designed implants,” Valderrabano said.... Read more »
- DNAtrix Announces First Pediatric Patient Treated with Oncolytic Virus DNX-2401 (Cision)UF startup DNAtrix, a leader in the development of oncolytic virus immunotherapies for cancer, announced the intratumoral delivery of DNX-2401 to the first pediatric patient in a Phase 1 study for diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma (DIPG). DIPG is a highly aggressive, infiltrative tumor of the brainstem that typically affects children aged 4-11 years. There is no effective treatment, and due to the anatomical location of the tumor, surgical resection is often not possible.... Read more »
- LightPath Technologies Expands Manufacturing and Assembly Facilities (Baystreet.CA)UF startup LightPath Technologies, Inc., a leading vertically integrated global manufacturer, distributor and integrator of proprietary optical and infrared components and high-level assemblies, announced the expansion of its operations in China with the addition of 1,200 square meters of manufacturing space, upgrades to coating facilities, increased machine shop space for a significant cost reduction in parts, and enlarged dicing and assembly production areas. The expanded facility achieved certification to the ISO 16949 automotive quality standard in support of the Company’s advancement into the automotive electronics market. “We are gearing up for substantially increasing demand globally for many product lines, including defense, industrial, and medical applications,” said Jim Gaynor, President and Chief Executive Officer of LightPath. “In the automotive electronics market, we have seen heightened interest in our sensing and infrared technologies. The expansion of the LightPath’s operations in China with improved automotive electronics capabilities and the requisite certification to work within the automotive OEM supply chain marks another development in our global growth and diversification strategy. We have been making concerted investments to increase our manufacturing capacity amid the increasing demand as well as funding of research and product development to bolster our technological leadership.”... Read more »
OTL News and Events
- UF Incubator News: Innovation Hub Expansion Nears Completion (TV20)Since opening its doors in January 2012, the Innovation Hub at UF has provided space and resources for almost 3 dozen local technology startups, creating over 800 new jobs. Now the site is expanding. “We were basically at capacity and yet there were a lot more companies in the community … that needed to have access to the resources and the... Read more »
- UF Incubator News: Captozyme Named as Florida Company to WatchTwo University of Florida incubators and GrowFL are pleased to announce that startup Captozyme is among the 50 statewide winners selected for the 2017 Florida Companies to WatchSM. Captozyme, a biotechnology company developing therapeutic enzymes to prevent oxalate kidney stones, has developed its business in both the Innovation Hub at UF and the UF Sid Martin Biotechnology Institute in Alachua.... Read more »
- UF to Receive Additional $7.4 Million in State Performance Funding (UF News)The University of Florida will receive an additional $7.4 million in state performance funding this year versus last year, bringing the total allotted to the university since 2014 to more than $103 million. The money will be used in UF’s ongoing efforts to hire and retain the world’s best and brightest faculty and keep the university on the path to... Read more »
- New Report: Licensing of Academic Patents Has Contributed up to $1.3 Trillion to US Economy (BusinessWire)The licensing of university research has made a significant contribution to US gross domestic product (GDP), industry gross output, and jobs over the last two decades, according to an independent study commissioned by the Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) and the Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM), which was released today. The report, “The Economic Contribution of University/Nonprofit Inventions in the United... Read more »
- OTL Is Hiring a Licensing AssociateDo you want to change the world? OTL needs a licensing associate to join with us in our mission, moving inventions from the labs into the marketplace where they can make the world a better place. This licensing associate position assists a licensing team by providing administrative support for all aspects of managing the protection and licensing of new technologies. It involves... Read more »
Keep up with OTL
Read the latest news about UF startups, OTL, startup companies, programs and events below. If you’d like to have this news delivered via social media or email:
- Follow @UFOTL on Facebook and Twitter for these updates and more.
- Receive the Tech NEWS Transfer newsletter via email once a semester by signing up here.
- For the Tech Alert email service that alerts subscribers to new technologies available for licensing in their areas of interest, sign up here.
- See our latest annual OTL Calendar publication here. Request to receive a copy of the annual calendar here.
- You can find an archive of OTL TechNotes and UF Tech Connect Update newsletters here.