Startups in the News
- Reducing Mental Health Disparities Through Online Therapy (News-Medical.Net)In this news story, reporter April Cashin-Garbutt interviews Dr. Sherry Benton, founder and chief science officer of UF startup TAO Connect. Benton created the TAO platform to expand the capacity of therapists to treat students, to augment effectiveness of the treatment, and to provide an online therapy option to reach populations who may not have access to on-campus care. She is a psychologist in both research and practice and has more than 25 years of clinical and research experience in counseling psychology and college student mental health.... Read more »
- Breakthrough Technology Tracks, Treats Tumors in Real Time (ClickonDetroit)UF startup ViewRay’s MRIdian Linac “takes off the blindfold for the radiation oncologist and allows us to see in real time not only where the target is, but also the surrounding normal structures,” said Dr. Ben Movsas, the chair of radiation oncology at the Henry Ford Cancer Institute. “This is a game changer. This lets us do things we could never do before.”... Read more »
- Optym Announces Corporate Headquarters Expansion (PRNewswire)UF startup Optym, a global leader in providing decision automation and optimization solutions, announced that it will be expanding into an additional 10,000 square feet of new space at its Gainesville headquarters. With a growing team and additional projects, the new space has come at a crucial time in the growth of the company, which currently employs 120 people, twice the number of employees it had three years ago. In 2015, Governor Scott announced the grand opening of the facility Optym is currently expanding into, demonstrating the company’s rapid growth over the last two years.... Read more »
- Food Supply Chain Startup Verigo Launches New Quality Analysis Platform (PerishableNews)UF startup Verigo has released a new IoT quality management system for improving freshness and reducing shrink of fresh produce in transit. The quality management system, dubbed Pod Quality, empowers growers, shippers, and retailers to enforce process standards according to a new standard quality metric: the remaining shelf life of each shipment. “This is the first system that empowers growers, shippers, and retailers with actionable data to optimize post-harvest, inventory rotation, and routing decisions,” says Adam Kinsey, founder and president of Verigo.... Read more »
- Exactech Truiliant Knee System Receives IDEA Award (Zacks)UF startup Exactech Inc. recently announced that its new product, the Truliant Knee System’s surgical instrumentation, has been honored with a bronze award in the 2017 International Design Excellence Awards (IDEA) in Atlanta. Sponsored by the Industrial Designers Society of America, IDEA winners receive significant international publicity and exposure. The 2017 IDEA contest noted hundreds of entries from 54 countries in six continents. A significant development in the company’s knee segment Truliant Knee System offers advanced approaches to total knee replacement surgeries, with a clinically-recognized platform of proven implants and personalized surgical workflows.... Read more »
OTL News and Events
- UF Incubator News: Innovation Hub Expansion Nears Completion (TV20)Since opening its doors in January 2012, the Innovation Hub at UF has provided space and resources for almost 3 dozen local technology startups, creating over 800 new jobs. Now the site is expanding. “We were basically at capacity and yet there were a lot more companies in the community … that needed to have access to the resources and the... Read more »
- UF Incubator News: Captozyme Named as Florida Company to WatchTwo University of Florida incubators and GrowFL are pleased to announce that startup Captozyme is among the 50 statewide winners selected for the 2017 Florida Companies to WatchSM. Captozyme, a biotechnology company developing therapeutic enzymes to prevent oxalate kidney stones, has developed its business in both the Innovation Hub at UF and the UF Sid Martin Biotechnology Institute in Alachua.... Read more »
- UF to Receive Additional $7.4 Million in State Performance Funding (UF News)The University of Florida will receive an additional $7.4 million in state performance funding this year versus last year, bringing the total allotted to the university since 2014 to more than $103 million. The money will be used in UF’s ongoing efforts to hire and retain the world’s best and brightest faculty and keep the university on the path to... Read more »
- New Report: Licensing of Academic Patents Has Contributed up to $1.3 Trillion to US Economy (BusinessWire)The licensing of university research has made a significant contribution to US gross domestic product (GDP), industry gross output, and jobs over the last two decades, according to an independent study commissioned by the Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) and the Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM), which was released today. The report, “The Economic Contribution of University/Nonprofit Inventions in the United... Read more »
- OTL Is Hiring a Licensing AssociateDo you want to change the world? OTL needs a licensing associate to join with us in our mission, moving inventions from the labs into the marketplace where they can make the world a better place. This licensing associate position assists a licensing team by providing administrative support for all aspects of managing the protection and licensing of new technologies. It involves... Read more »
Keep up with OTL
Read the latest news about UF startups, OTL, startup companies, programs and events below. If you’d like to have this news delivered via social media or email:
- Follow @UFOTL on Facebook and Twitter for these updates and more.
- Receive the Tech NEWS Transfer newsletter via email once a semester by signing up here.
- For the Tech Alert email service that alerts subscribers to new technologies available for licensing in their areas of interest, sign up here.
- See our latest annual OTL Calendar publication here. Request to receive a copy of the annual calendar here.
- You can find an archive of OTL TechNotes and UF Tech Connect Update newsletters here.