Startups in the News
- ASU Partners with Online Therapy Service TAO Connect to Bring Better Resources to StudentsIn an effort to bring students better access to therapy and mental health support, ASU is working with TAO Connect to bring a digital therapy program to campus. TAO, which stands for Therapy Assistance Online, provides online modules, exercises, journals and HIPAA compliant video conferences. The program also has an app that allows students to access the materials from their phones, as well as a notification system that includes “individualized reminders, suggestions, and encouragers,” according to TAO Connect’s website.... Read more »
- Structured Monitoring Products Awarded $25K from Innovation Fund Northeast Ohio (Innovation Fund America)Innovation Fund Northeast Ohio, a pre-seed fund for technology-based startups, has awarded UF startup Structured Monitoring Products $25,000 to help the company bring their technologies closer to market, preparing them to raise more funding, launch new products and create jobs. Structured Monitoring Products is developing the first true non-contact vital signs monitor for humans and animals. The startup is helping veterinarians save time and money by monitoring the vital signs of pets in the minimally regulated animal diagnostic industry. The VetGuardian Vital Signs Monitor measures pulse and respiration rate with no contact of the animal.... Read more »
- ViewRay Wins Japanese Approval for MRIdian Linac System (MassDevice)UF startup ViewRay said it won Japanese Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare Shonin approval for its MRIdian Linac linear accelerator system. The newly cleared MRIdian Linac device replaces the cobalt it utilized with linear accelerator technology, the Cleveland, Ohio-based company said. The company won FDA approval for the device last February. ViewRay touted the MRIdian as the first and only MRI-guided radiation therapy system to receive Japanese Shonin approval. The company is represented by Itochu corporation in Japan, which it claims is one of the three largest general trading companies in the country.... Read more »
- First-Ever Blood Test for Detecting Brain Injury Cleared by FDA (U.S. Air Force)You’re throwing a football around in the yard with your neighbors. While stretching out as far as you can to catch the pass, you slam your head hard against a pole going for the ball. Seeing stars and feeling confused, you take a seat. Wouldn’t it be nice if a test could say whether you have a brain injury? Brain injuries can happen from a fall, while in combat or during training exercises. Thanks in part to research funded by the Defense Department and the Army, UF startup Banyan Biomarkers has created the first-ever brain trauma blood test. On Feb. 14, the Food and Drug Administration cleared marketing of the Banyan Biomarkers’ Brain Trauma Indicator... Read more »
- OxThera AB’s Ushers First Patient with Primary Hyperoxaluria into Phase 3 Trial (Rare Disease Report)Last week, the first patient with primary hyperoxaluria (PH) was randomized into UF startup OxThera AB’s Phase 3 trial of OC5 (Oxabact). Study OC5-DB-02 (EPHEX) is a randomized, placebo-controlled, 52-week study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of OC5 in patients with PH. PH is a rare genetic disorder in which patients produce an excess of oxalate, which leads to eventual kidney deterioration. It is the belief of the company that the oral drug can slow disease progression, preserving kidney function.... Read more »
OTL News and Events
- UF Incubator News: Merrie Shaw Awarded UF Superior Accomplishment HonorMerrie Shaw, Assistant Director of UF Innovate | Sid Martin Biotech, appears with Jim O’Connell, Assistant Vice President of Technology Commercialization and Director, UF Innovate | Tech Licensing, at the awards reception March 5. Assistant Director Merrie Shaw has been named a UF Superior Accomplishment award winner for her outstanding service at UF Innovate | Sid Martin Biotech. UF President Kent... Read more »
- UF Incubator News: Sid Martin Helps Entrepreneurs Rapidly Bridge Gap Between Vision and Growth (Florida Trend)It’s hard to imagine that a former cow pasture on the outskirts of a small town in Northern Florida is now home to the best business incubator in the world. Opening in 1995 as one of the first bio-business incubators in the US, in 2017 the Sid Martin Biotechnology Institute was given the highest award of the International Business Innovation Association —... Read more »
- UF Incubator News: Innovation Hub and Warrington College of Business Provide Space for Women’s Collaboratory and Gator Accelerator (UF News)When the doors opened to the newly built expansion of the Innovation Hub at the University of Florida, the Warrington College of Business was one of the first entities to get space inside. The Innovation Hub, originally 48,000 square feet of offices, labs and common areas built to incubate technology startups, is now nearly 100,000 square feet of wet labs, offices,... Read more »
- LUXTURNA, Gene Therapy to Fight Blindness Approved by FDA, Is a Result of UF Research (Blindness.org)The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval of voretigene neparvovec, to be marketed as LUXTURNA, will be life-changing for patients with vision loss due to mutations in the RPE65 gene and a watershed moment for the inherited retinal disease field, says the Foundation Fighting Blindness. The Foundation was an important early investor in LUXTURNA, providing $10 million in critical... Read more »
- UF Incubator News: Captozyme Named as Florida Company to WatchTwo University of Florida incubators and GrowFL are pleased to announce that startup Captozyme is among the 50 statewide winners selected for the 2017 Florida Companies to WatchSM. Captozyme, a biotechnology company developing therapeutic enzymes to prevent oxalate kidney stones, has developed its business in both the Innovation Hub at UF and the UF Sid Martin Biotechnology Institute in Alachua.... Read more »
Keep up with OTL
Read the latest news about UF startups, OTL, startup companies, programs and events below. If you’d like to have this news delivered via social media or email:
- Follow @UFOTL on Facebook and Twitter for these updates and more.
- Receive the Tech NEWS Transfer newsletter via email once a semester by signing up here.
- For the Tech Alert email service that alerts subscribers to new technologies available for licensing in their areas of interest, sign up here.
- See our latest annual OTL Calendar publication here. Request to receive a copy of the annual calendar here.
- You can find an archive of OTL TechNotes and UF Tech Connect Update newsletters here.