Startups in the News
- Cannabix: Capitalize on Pent-Up Demand for Cannabis Breathalyzer (CFN Media Group)Drug-impaired driving is a growing problem as the United States and Canada continue down a path toward legalizing medical and recreational cannabis. Without a reliable roadside breathalyzer, law enforcement officials are limited to pushing for invasive blood work or simply relying on public education programs to curb the problem. The good news is that UF startup Cannabix Technologies is rapidly developing a breathalyzer solution to address these concerns. In this article, we will take a look at Cannabix Technologies Inc. and its upcoming marijuana breathalyzer designed to help law enforcement detect the presence of tetrahydrocannabinol (“THC”) at roadside and ultimately prosecute offenders.... Read more »
- Entrinsic Health Solutions Announces New Oncology Partnership with The Honolulu Pharmacy (MarketsInsider)Entrinsic Health Solutions, Inc., a UF health sciences startup dedicated to the development and commercialization of amino acid based medical foods to address critical digestive health, nutrition and hydration related health issues, announced that The Honolulu Pharmacy will be a new supplier of enterade®. As a first in class medical food/beverage, enterade® uses amino acids and electrolytes for the dietary management of the side effects of treatments for cancer by rebuilding and protecting the gastrointestinal tract. In a recent clinical study, patients reported a 78 percent improvement in side effects after using enterade® for 7 days or more.... Read more »
- ACTC Files Investigational New Drug Application for the Treatment of X-Linked Retinitis Pigmentosa (GlobeNewswire)Applied Genetic Technologies Corporation, a UF biotechnology company conducting human clinical trials of adeno-associated virus (AAV)-based gene therapies for the treatment of rare diseases, announced that it has filed an Investigational New Drug application (IND) with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to conduct a Phase 1/2 clinical trial of the company’s gene therapy product candidate for the treatment of X-linked retinitis pigmentosa (XLRP) caused by mutations in the RPGR gene. XLRP is an inherited condition that causes progressive vision loss, beginning with night blindness in young boys followed by progressive constriction of the field of vision. Affected men progress to legal blindness by their early forties. Preclinical data indicated that treatment with an investigational gene therapy product slowed the loss of visual function in canines with XLRP caused by mutations in the RPGR gene. XLRP and X-linked retinoschisis (XLRS) are the two lead development programs within AGTC’s collaboration and license agreement with Biogen, Inc., to develop gene-based therapies for multiple ophthalmic diseases.... Read more »
- Cannabix Technologies Develops Beta 3.0 Marijuana Breathalyzer (Nasdaq)UF startup Cannabix Technologies Inc., developer of the Cannabix Marijuana Breathalyzer for law enforcement and the workplace, is pleased to announce that it has developed a “Beta 3.0” (Cannabix Marijuana Breathalyzer) device based on its FAIMS (field asymmetric waveform ion mobility spectrometry) technology with major advances in the design and commercial capabilities of the device. The Beta 3.0 will include a conventional rechargeable battery, improved ion flow, the latest pulse driver chips to improve resolution and sensitivity. The new design includes improvements that will allow for dynamic testing and for easier configurability that will be needed for more demanding test/user environments.... Read more »
- TAO Connect Launches Mind Elevator Tool to Alter Thinking Habits Using Machine Learning Technology (MarketWired)UF startup TAO Connect, a digital platform aimed at making mental health therapy more accessible, efficient and effective, with the University of Florida, announced the launch of its Mind Elevator technology helping therapy clients alter negative thinking habits, developing new neural pathways in the brain. The Mind Elevator allows users to submit a thought or feeling, receive helpful feedback and begin practicing more positive ways of thinking. Once submitted, the algorithm evaluates the thought, via emoticons and color spectrums, and provides feedback and encouragement to alter each thought and make it more positive. As users continue to submit content, the program responds to the sequence of sentences through its machine learning technology, tracking the thoughts on a positive vs. negative scale and providing constant positive reinforcement. In turn, this helps users start developing new neural pathways to override previously involuntary negative thought processes.... Read more »
OTL News and Events
- UF Incubators in the News: Captozyme Named as Florida Company to WatchTwo University of Florida incubators and GrowFL are pleased to announce that startup Captozyme is among the 50 statewide winners selected for the 2017 Florida Companies to WatchSM. Captozyme, a biotechnology company developing therapeutic enzymes to prevent oxalate kidney stones, has developed its business in both the Innovation Hub at UF and the UF Sid Martin Biotechnology Institute in Alachua.... Read more »
- UF to Receive Additional $7.4 Million in State Performance Funding (UF News)The University of Florida will receive an additional $7.4 million in state performance funding this year versus last year, bringing the total allotted to the university since 2014 to more than $103 million. The money will be used in UF’s ongoing efforts to hire and retain the world’s best and brightest faculty and keep the university on the path to... Read more »
- New Report: Licensing of Academic Patents Has Contributed up to $1.3 Trillion to US Economy (BusinessWire)The licensing of university research has made a significant contribution to US gross domestic product (GDP), industry gross output, and jobs over the last two decades, according to an independent study commissioned by the Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) and the Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM), which was released today. The report, “The Economic Contribution of University/Nonprofit Inventions in the United... Read more »
- OTL Is Hiring a Licensing AssociateDo you want to change the world? OTL needs a licensing associate to join with us in our mission, moving inventions from the labs into the marketplace where they can make the world a better place. This licensing associate position assists a licensing team by providing administrative support for all aspects of managing the protection and licensing of new technologies. It involves... Read more »
- UF Incubator News: Sid Martin Biotechnology Institute Named World’s No. 1 Biotech IncubatorSid Martin Biotechnology Institute (SMBI), the leading biotechnology incubator at the University of Florida, has been awarded the Randall M. Whaley Incubator of the Year award for 2017, the highest award given by the International Business Innovation Association (InBIA). InBIA is the world’s leading organization for advancing business incubation, acceleration and entrepreneurship. SMBI was named Incubator of the Year among more than 7,500 incubators worldwide.... Read more »
Keep up with OTL
Read the latest news about UF startups, OTL, startup companies, programs and events below. If you’d like to have this news delivered via social media or email:
- Follow @UFOTL on Facebook and Twitter for these updates and more.
- Receive the Tech NEWS Transfer newsletter via email once a semester by signing up here.
- For the Tech Alert email service that alerts subscribers to new technologies available for licensing in their areas of interest, sign up here.
- See our latest annual OTL Calendar publication here. Request to receive a copy of the annual calendar here.
- You can find an archive of OTL TechNotes and UF Tech Connect Update newsletters here.