Keep up with UF Innovate | Tech Licensing
Read the latest news about UF startups, Tech Licensing, startup companies, programs and events below. If you’d like to have this news delivered via social media or email:
- Follow @UFOTL on Facebook and Twitter for these updates and more.
- Explore our available technologies and sign up to receive tech alerts.
Startups in the News
- Association Awards Exactech with Large Manufacturer of the Year Award (Business Report North Central Florida)What does it take to be named Manufacturer of the Year (Large Category) by the Manufacturers Association of Florida? Look no further than UF startup Exactech, one of the most successful manufacturing companies headquartered in North Central Florida. On April 19th, the Manufacturers Association of Florida presented the prestigious award to Exactech for their outstanding talent and demonstrated excellence. With nearly 21,000 registered manufacturers in Florida (one of the top manufacturing states in the nation), Exactech is truly in a class by itself.... Read more »
- Morphogenesis to Begin Clinical Trials on Promising Cancer Therapy (WLRN)A UF startup based in Tampa has received approval to start clinical trials on a new form of gene therapy to treat cancerous tumors. Morphogenesis, Inc. will begin the trials on six patients with an aggressive form of skin cancer at Moffitt Cancer Center this summer. The therapeutic vaccine is injected into a cancerous tumor and triggers a patient’s immune system to destroy it. A protein in the vaccine acts as a beacon for the immune system, which destroys the tumor cells that are expressing the beacon, said Morphogenesis CEO Pat Lawman. The immune cells then go throughout the body and kill other similar tumor cells, she said.... Read more »
- Sun BioPharma to Begin Dosing Pancreatic Cancer Patients in Clinical Trials (Globe Newswire)UF startup Sun BioPharma, Inc., a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company developing disruptive therapeutics for the treatment of pancreatic diseases, provided a business update and reports financial results for the quarter ended March 31, 2018. The Company’s newest trial, a combination of SBP-101 to be administered with gemcitabine and nab-paclitaxel in previously untreated patients with metastatic pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDA), is expected to begin dosing patients by the end of May 2018. Site initiation visits have been completed at 2 of 4 participating cancer centers: the Adelaide Cancer Centre in Adelaide, Australia, and the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida where SBP-101 was invented. Both centers are actively recruiting subjects for the study. Two additional sites, both in Australia, will be initiated in June of 2018. This study includes a dose-escalation phase with sequential cohorts of patients receiving treatment at each of three SBP-101 dose levels. The dose-escalation phase will be followed by an expansion phase at the optimal dose level of SBP-101. The study has been registered on the clinicaltrials.gov website.... Read more »
- Altavian Taking Drone Technology to New Heights (Business Report of North Central Florida)Imagine being a graduate student working a part-time job in a lab with expert aerospace engineer faculty members and geomatic scientists. Never in your wildest dreams would you imagine that a short time later you would be developing technology for the Army Corps of Engineers and the U.S. Geological Service. A modern day “Shark Tank” type success story, UF startup Altavian was born out of the UF Micro Air Vehicles (MAV) lab. The three young soon-to-be founders of Altavian first collaborated on a project at UF to develop an unmanned craft that could perform surveys on wildlife in the Everglades.... Read more »
- Morphogenesis, Inc. Raises $16M to Advance into Human Clinical Trials (BioFlorida)UF startup Morphogenesis, Inc., a Tampa, FL-based immunotherapy company closed a $16 million Series A investment round led by Dr. Kiran Patel and KP Biotech Group, a company managed by Dr. Kiran Patel. With the completion of the Series A Round, Dr. Kiran Patel was elected Chairman of the Board of Morphogenesis. Newly elected Chairman Dr. Patel reacted to the closing by saying, “It’s extremely rewarding to reach this point with the Morphogenesis team who have been pursuing such formidable endeavors in biotechnology that will put Tampa on the map. Interest in this investment was strong but we had to cap at $16M. I have been investing in the Company for over five years now with a strong belief in the work Pat and Mike have undertaken. The successful outcomes from their companion animal and mouse studies have resulted in a green light by the FDA to move into Phase 1b of human clinical trials.”... Read more »
UF Innovate | Tech Licensing News and Events
- UF Incubator News: UF Innovate | The Hub Holds Open House (Alligator)About 80 people were surrounded by sleek chrome light fixtures and stacked two-story high windows as they walked into the UF Innovate lobby on March 28. UF Innovate | The Hub, a business incubator located at 747 SW 2nd Avenue, held an open house Wednesday for its new second wing. The Hub is a business incubator meant to promote the success of start-up companies.... Read more »
- UF Incubator News: Merrie Shaw Awarded UF Superior Accomplishment HonorMerrie Shaw, Assistant Director of UF Innovate | Sid Martin Biotech, appears with Jim O’Connell, Assistant Vice President of Technology Commercialization and Director, UF Innovate | Tech Licensing, at the awards reception March 5. Assistant Director Merrie Shaw has been named a UF Superior Accomplishment award winner for her outstanding service at UF Innovate | Sid Martin Biotech. UF President Kent... Read more »
- UF Incubator News: Sid Martin Helps Entrepreneurs Rapidly Bridge Gap Between Vision and Growth (Florida Trend)It’s hard to imagine that a former cow pasture on the outskirts of a small town in Northern Florida is now home to the best business incubator in the world. Opening in 1995 as one of the first bio-business incubators in the US, in 2017 the Sid Martin Biotechnology Institute was given the highest award of the International Business Innovation Association —... Read more »
- UF Incubator News: Innovation Hub and Warrington College of Business Provide Space for Women’s Collaboratory and Gator Accelerator (UF News)When the doors opened to the newly built expansion of the Innovation Hub at the University of Florida, the Warrington College of Business was one of the first entities to get space inside. The Innovation Hub, originally 48,000 square feet of offices, labs and common areas built to incubate technology startups, is now nearly 100,000 square feet of wet labs, offices,... Read more »
- LUXTURNA, Gene Therapy to Fight Blindness Approved by FDA, Is a Result of UF Research (Blindness.org)The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval of voretigene neparvovec, to be marketed as LUXTURNA, will be life-changing for patients with vision loss due to mutations in the RPE65 gene and a watershed moment for the inherited retinal disease field, says the Foundation Fighting Blindness. The Foundation was an important early investor in LUXTURNA, providing $10 million in critical... Read more »