Startups in the News
- SharpSpring Enhances Offers with New Visual Workflow Builder (Nasdaq)UF startup SharpSpring, Inc., a global provider of cloud-based marketing technologies, announced the launch of a new Visual Workflow Builder to enhance its flagship marketing automation platform. SharpSpring’s marketing automation solution allows marketers to send the right message to prospects at the right time, and this latest feature allows marketers to visualize that process as their campaigns are created. Now, it’s possible to conceptualize a prospect’s journey on screen from the top of the funnel all the way to a sale with a simple, bird’s-eye view of even the most in-depth workflows.... Read more »
- Molekule, First Molecular Air Purifier, Announces $10.1M Series A Funding (WebWire)UF startup Molekule, the company behind the only molecular air purifier proven to destroy indoor pollutants, announces $10.1 million in Series A funding. Led by Crosslink Capital with participation from SoftTech VC, Translink Capital, and Foxconn, the round will be used to scale production, expand its team, and build out the product pipeline. Molekule is also announcing the device’s availability to the general public. Our air quality is rapidly declining due to increasing industrialization and other environmental factors. While unhealthy for everyone, for the one in four allergy and asthma sufferers in the U.S., poor air quality can be debilitating — particularly since climate change and rising levels of pollution are shown to worsen such symptoms.... Read more »
- First Henry Ford Patients Treated with ViewRay’s MRIdian (PR Newswire)UF startup ViewRay, Inc. announced that the first cancer patients have been treated using the company’s MRIdian Linac system at Henry Ford Health System in Metro Detroit. MRIdian Linac is the world’s only FDA-cleared MRI-guided radiation therapy system with linear accelerator-based delivery. MRIdian Linac is the company’s second generation system, building on the success of the company’s first generation system which has been used to treat more than 1,500 patients. “MRIdian offers us the ability to finally see where the patient’s tumor is located in real time using MRI imaging so we know what changes are taking place inside the body and can make the necessary adjustments in real time,” said Dr. Benjamin Movsas, Chair of Radiation Oncology at the Henry Ford Cancer Institute, part of Henry Ford Health System. ... Read more »
- ViewRay Among Preferred Healthcare Stocks (Madison.com)Healthcare providers have used radiation therapy for years to battle cancer. However, one big problem with this therapy is that it can be tricky to attack the cancerous cells without damaging healthy ones nearby. This is a problem that UF startup ViewRay is attempting to solve. The company recently won FDA approval for its MRIdian Linac system, which is a product that marries radiation therapy and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) together. This new system allows healthcare professionals to see how a tumor is reacting to radiation therapy in real time, making it easy for them to make adjustments on the fly. In turn, the company claims that oncologists should have an easier time treating the tumors while minimizing damage to healthy cells. While we are still in the very early innings of the product’s launch, the company recently reported that its backlog in the first quarter grew 62% year over year to $144.9 million. That’s great news for investors since it hints that there is a lot of interest in this new system. If true, then ViewRay could be in a great position to steal market share from incumbents. ... Read more »
- Axogen Appoints Jon Gingrich Chief Commercial Officer (Nasdaq)UF startup AxoGen, Inc., a global leader in developing and marketing innovative surgical solutions for peripheral nerve injuries, announced the appointment of Jon S. Gingrich to the newly created role of Chief Commercial Officer. Gingrich brings more than 20 years of global medical device and health care sales, marketing, and general management experience to AxoGen. As a member of the AxoGen executive leadership team, Gingrich will report directly to Karen Zaderej, President and CEO, and will oversee the development and execution of the company’s sales and marketing strategies.... Read more »
OTL News and Events
- UF Incubators in the News: Captozyme Named as Florida Company to WatchTwo University of Florida incubators and GrowFL are pleased to announce that startup Captozyme is among the 50 statewide winners selected for the 2017 Florida Companies to WatchSM. Captozyme, a biotechnology company developing therapeutic enzymes to prevent oxalate kidney stones, has developed its business in both the Innovation Hub at UF and the UF Sid Martin Biotechnology Institute in Alachua.... Read more »
- UF to Receive Additional $7.4 Million in State Performance Funding (UF News)The University of Florida will receive an additional $7.4 million in state performance funding this year versus last year, bringing the total allotted to the university since 2014 to more than $103 million. The money will be used in UF’s ongoing efforts to hire and retain the world’s best and brightest faculty and keep the university on the path to... Read more »
- New Report: Licensing of Academic Patents Has Contributed up to $1.3 Trillion to US Economy (BusinessWire)The licensing of university research has made a significant contribution to US gross domestic product (GDP), industry gross output, and jobs over the last two decades, according to an independent study commissioned by the Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) and the Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM), which was released today. The report, “The Economic Contribution of University/Nonprofit Inventions in the United... Read more »
- OTL Is Hiring a Licensing AssociateDo you want to change the world? OTL needs a licensing associate to join with us in our mission, moving inventions from the labs into the marketplace where they can make the world a better place. This licensing associate position assists a licensing team by providing administrative support for all aspects of managing the protection and licensing of new technologies. It involves... Read more »
- UF Incubator News: Sid Martin Biotechnology Institute Named World’s No. 1 Biotech IncubatorSid Martin Biotechnology Institute (SMBI), the leading biotechnology incubator at the University of Florida, has been awarded the Randall M. Whaley Incubator of the Year award for 2017, the highest award given by the International Business Innovation Association (InBIA). InBIA is the world’s leading organization for advancing business incubation, acceleration and entrepreneurship. SMBI was named Incubator of the Year among more than 7,500 incubators worldwide.... Read more »
Keep up with OTL
Read the latest news about UF startups, OTL, startup companies, programs and events below. If you’d like to have this news delivered via social media or email:
- Follow @UFOTL on Facebook and Twitter for these updates and more.
- Receive the Tech NEWS Transfer newsletter via email once a semester by signing up here.
- For the Tech Alert email service that alerts subscribers to new technologies available for licensing in their areas of interest, sign up here.
- See our latest annual OTL Calendar publication here. Request to receive a copy of the annual calendar here.
- You can find an archive of OTL TechNotes and UF Tech Connect Update newsletters here.