Startups in the News
- Henry Ford Cancer Institute First in World to Install MRI-Guided Radiation Therapy with MRIdian Linac (PR Newswire)The Henry Ford Cancer Institute is the first in Michigan – and first in the world – to offer patients an advanced radiation therapy that uses an FDA-approved real-time magnetic resonance imaging and linear accelerator delivery for more precise and accurate radiation treatment. The ViewRay MRIdian Linac® by UF startup ViewRay is the world’s first and only FDA-approved commercially available linear accelerator-based MRI-guided radiation therapy system that can image and treat patients simultaneously. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved the company’s next generation model for use in February.... Read more »
- UF Health Surgeon Performs First-of-Its-Kind Computer-Assisted Surgery in U.S. Using New Technology (UF Health)A University of Florida Health orthopaedic surgeon is one of two nationally to perform the first computer-assisted shoulder replacement surgery in the U.S. using a new technology by UF startup Exactech allowing live navigation of the operative site. The technology, ExactechGPS Total Shoulder Application, provides the surgeon with a real-time 3-D computer model of a patient’s shoulder during surgery. It does this by combining CT scan images with data from instruments mounted with tiny infrared cameras.... Read more »
- Tampa Area Corporate Titans Back Peerfit (Nibletz)UF startup Peerfit relocated to Tampa Bay after participating in the Healthbox Startup Accelerator hosted at Tampa Bay Wave in 2014. There, they were able to fine tune their product and grow important relationships that have helped lead them to where they are today. In 2016 the company raised $1.56M dollars that they used to grow the business. This week they closed out a $2.3M bridge round, bringing their total funding to $5 million dollars since they started the company in 2011.... Read more »
- Preclinical Data Demonstrates Efficacy of AGTC-402 Therapy for Achromatopsia (EIN Newsdesk)UF startup Applied Genetic Technologies Corporation, a biotechnology company conducting human clinical trials of adeno-associated virus (AAV)-based gene therapies for the treatment of rare diseases, announced the publication of IND-enabling preclinical data demonstrating the safety and efficacy of AGTC-402 in the treatment of achromatopsia (ACHM) due to mutations in the CNGA3 gene. The study, “Safety and Efficacy Evaluation of rAAV2tYF-PR.1-hCNGA3 Vector Delivered by Subretinal Injection in CNGA3 Mutant Achromatopsia Sheep” appears in the June issue of Human Gene Therapy Clinical Development and was led by researchers at the Volcani Center and Hebrew University in Israel. The gene-based therapy used in this study, AGTC-402, utilizes AGTC’s proprietary AAV technology to deliver a functional copy of the human CNGA3 gene.... Read more »
- Employee Health Benefits Platform Peerfit Garners $2.3 Million (PE Hub Network)UF startup Peerfit, a digital platform that makes it easy for insurance carriers, brokers and employers to offer boutique fitness classes to their clients and employees, has closed a $2.3 million bridge round. The round drew notable business leaders, along with healthcare and digital health veterans. Owner of the Tampa Bay Lightning NHL team Jeff Vinik and founder of Outback Steakhouse Chris Sullivan are among the notable business leaders who invested during the round. Colliers International Florida Executive Chairman Lee Arnold, a longtime technology investor, led the round along with investors through Florida Funders’ online investing platform and at PAR/ARK Applications.... Read more »
OTL News and Events
- OTL Is Hiring a Licensing AssociateDo you want to change the world? OTL needs a licensing associate to join with us in our mission, moving inventions from the labs into the marketplace where they can make the world a better place. This licensing associate position assists a licensing team by providing administrative support for all aspects of managing the protection and licensing of new technologies. It involves... Read more »
- UF Incubator News: Sid Martin Biotechnology Institute Named World’s No. 1 Biotech IncubatorSid Martin Biotechnology Institute (SMBI), the leading biotechnology incubator at the University of Florida, has been awarded the Randall M. Whaley Incubator of the Year award for 2017, the highest award given by the International Business Innovation Association (InBIA). InBIA is the world’s leading organization for advancing business incubation, acceleration and entrepreneurship. SMBI was named Incubator of the Year among more than 7,500 incubators worldwide.... Read more »
- Milken Institute Ranks UF Third Nationally in Moving Ideas from Lab to Real World (UF News)The University of Florida ranks third among all research universities in the country for getting its ideas out of the laboratory and into the real world, according to the Milken Institute’s 2017 ranking of Best Universities for Technology Transfer. UF was fifth in 2006, the last time the report was issued by the Santa Monica, California-based independent economic think tank. The... Read more »
- UF Names New Director of Technology Transfer (UF News)The University of Florida has a new O’Connell to welcome in Gainesville. After a thorough national search, UF has selected Jim O’Connell as the new assistant vice president for technology transfer and the director of the Office of Technology Licensing. “Mr. O’Connell will work with internal and external constituents to provide strategic leadership and direction in building and capitalizing on facilities,... Read more »
- It Was a Day to Celebrate People Who Change the WorldThe 11th annual A Celebration of Innovation showcase wasn’t a standing room only event — the thunderstorm that wreaked havoc the morning of April 4 made certain of that — but it was a standing up only event, at least immediately following OTL Director David Day’s farewell speech in the opening session of the startup showcase. The startup showcase featured an opening session that celebrated... Read more »
Keep up with OTL
Read the latest news about UF startups, OTL, startup companies, programs and events below. If you’d like to have this news delivered via social media or email:
- Follow @UFOTL on Facebook and Twitter for these updates and more.
- Receive the Tech NEWS Transfer newsletter via email once a semester by signing up here.
- For the Tech Alert email service that alerts subscribers to new technologies available for licensing in their areas of interest, sign up here.
- See our latest annual OTL Calendar publication here. Request to receive a copy of the annual calendar here.
- You can find an archive of OTL TechNotes and UF Tech Connect Update newsletters here.